Thursday, April 13, 2006

Good News and a bit of Bad

The good news: Ok, this is getting old - six plus weeks of rain almost every day! Today was finally nice! I drove to work today with my convertible top down, Yea!

The Bad news is that although spring might finally be here (after a couple of more minor rain systems), it will take the local produce quite a while to recover due to the 60+ day growing cycles. All of the rain and cold is bad for growth! Especially impacted: Asparagus, Artichokes, and Lettuces. Projections are poor at this point for the stonefruit season as well.

Good news: Southern California is "coming online" with the spring goodies. As you know I prefer the Nor-Cal goodness, but I guess I'll have to get versitile a bit this spring and be more creative with the local stuff that is available. The kitchen team will have to dig a bit deeper to coax out some great springtime goodness.

More good news: I saw the first Real Morel Mushrooms of the season, yummy! Todd at the king of Mushrooms delivers only the best to me!

P.s. I am looking forward to an anticipated end of month launch for Local English Peas, Yeah!

No comments: