Friday, March 24, 2006

Knives and all things sharp ...

A question came from a regular customer asking if I use Global knives. I'll post my response:

Global is good, I use some global… My favorite however is Shun. I use the “Classic: series. They are as thin as global, but stiffer and seem to hold an edge better. They also make a stainless handled knife, similar to global. Check out http://www.kershawknives.com/ and you can see the whole lineup. I also use some German stuff and also some old (circa 1960's) carbon steel knives. The carbon steel holds a razor sharp edge, but can rust if it is left wet. Bottom line, use what you like. I don't reccomend buting a "set". Find a chef knife, bread knife and a paring knife you like and that is a good start. If you need to butcher, get a boning knife also.

One BIG thing to remember is keep your knives sharp! Go visit Perfect Edge Cutlery in San Mateo. They do the best job for professional sharpening services... Oh yeah, they also have one of the best selections of knives for sale in the Bay Area.

Be Safe!

No comments: